Marriage counseling or Couples Counseling is a form of psychotherapy that focuses on building and improving intimate relationships, as well as to resolve conflict if and when it occurs. There are a number of areas that can be addressed within therapy, which include:
- Moving towards a deeper understanding of each other and move towards realistic expectations from each other
- Clearing out misunderstandings and resolving conflict
- Coping and overcoming problems involving sexual intimacy and performance
- Addressing external issues impacting the marriage including in-laws, joint family systems, work, etc.
- Dealing with infidelity
- Dealing with issues that occur from child rearing
- Dealing with substance abuse and addictions that impact the relationship
- Dealing and addressing issues involving domestic violence and all forms of physical and emotional abuse.
Pre-marital counseling can also be sought to get a deeper understanding of prospective future partners and to better understand each other's needs and expectations better. It can also be sought to resolve personal compatibility issues.